Monday, February 14, 2022

Great Grandpa - A Bloodthirsty Dude

                                         Stabbed To The Heart

W.H. Anthis Murdered by Virgil Johnson at Graydon Springs Yesterday
The Bloodthirsty Youth Captured by Officers Kennedy and Bechtell

Virgil Johnson and W.H. Anthis, youths of about 17, living at Graydon Springs, Polk County, have been for some time at variance as to which was the better man of the two, and in order to settle the question they fought not long since, Anthis proving the victor. It is narrated that Anthis vaunted his conquest and promised to repeat the beating when occasion offered.
In the meantime it is said Johnson got into a difficulty with a quartette of boys, two of whom he carved with a convenient pocketknife, the other two taking to their heels at the sight of blood. This adventure whetted Johnson’s ambition to wipe out the stigma and cloud under which his prowess rested by reason of the defeat he had suffered at the hands of Anthis, and in order to be equipped for deadly work when the next meeting occurred, he bought a new knife with a long keen blade.
Yesterday the boys met in the post office at Graydon Springs, when the old quarrel was immediately renewed and Johnson, whipping out his ready weapon, plunged it into his hated adversary’s heart.


Graydon Springs Post Office


There was a crowd standing around, but the crime was so suddenly and unexpectedly committed that no one had time to interfere, and indeed it was not known that Anthis had been done to death until the cowardly perpetrator had made good his escape. Notwithstanding the heavy rain which fell all day yesterday Johnson walked to Springfield and was captured last night while eating supper at Fay’s restaurant by Officers Kennedy and Bechtell, who are holding him for the Polk County officers.
Johnson, who lives a short distance out of Graydon Springs, says that Anthis hit him over the head, after which the cutting was done. On the fugitive’s person, when arrested, were found a ticket to Vinita and $14.50 in cash, so that he evidently did not expect to show up in his former haunts until his crimes had been forgotten. He says that he left the knife with which the deed was done at home, so that he probably ran to that refuge after leaving the post office and secured all the money he could raise to get him out of the country.

Johnson’s Version

Virgil Johnson was seen by a LEADER reporter and the story as he gives it does not involve his act in the malice with which it is invested by rumor.
Johnson who is confined in the calaboose (jail) had just finished a breakfast of ham and eggs, which he relished, when the reporter saw him. He said, in substance.
Anthis and I had a difficulty about four or five days ago and he got the best of it. He is a full-grown man 21 years old and weighs about 150, while I am only 17 and don’t weigh more than 120. Yesterday morning at 11 o’clock I went into the post office and Anthis struck me on the head, not hard, but just in a tantalizing, bullying way. I went out and he followed me, catching me by the coat and kicking and beating me. I wasn’t any match for him physically, so I cut him with my knife and then ran home. I got some money from father and then rode to Willard on horseback, to which point I was accompanied by a cousin who carried the horse back. I there bought a ticket to would return to Graydon Springs this morning and let the ticket go, but the officers arrested me while I was at supper, and here I am.
I heard that some of the people were going to treat me roughly because I cut Anthis. They were friends of Anthis and I thought it best to get away from there. Father told me to stop at an uncle of mine and tell him and the boys to keep out of any fuss. I did that before leaving.
That story about my having a new knife is not true. I had an old knife which originally had two blades, but one was broken out. When I changed clothes, I left the knife in my pants pocket.
Father has intended leaving Polk County for some time and sold out his interests there a few days ago. He was to have left today, but I suppose this trouble will interfere with his arrangements.
Members of the train crew stated to the reporter that Johnson did not come in on the train but his ticket from Willard is punched showing that he rode from that point. The boy is lanky and loose jointed, and does not realize the enormity of his offense, talking about it with the utmost composure if not indifference. In reference to the fight, he had with the four boys he cut a couple of them because he did not care to be beat to death by the gang. Public sympathy was on his side in that case, and he was not arrested. He also said he was a farmer, and he went to town two or three times a week.
Notice has been sent to Graydon Springs of Johnson’s arrest and an officer is expected this afternoon to take him in charge. 




The above article is the original. I typed the story from it since the article is so difficult to read. It was first published in the Springfield Leader and Press (Springfield, MO) 23 Sep 1893, Sat Page 4

I obtained the photograph of the Graydon Springs post office from the Facebook site Graydon Springs & Greene County, MO Photos & More with the permission of the owner. Their Great Grandmother had been the postmaster of the post office. 

https://www.facebook.com/GraydonandGreene

What Did I Think

What did I think and how did I feel when I read this article? I was thinking, did I really descend from this boy/man? This boy who was capable of killing another man? And, I was thinking it certainly didn't affect his appetite. He was packing the food away when the reporter saw him.
The reporter stated that he didn't think Virgil realized the enormity of what he had done. I think Virgil did realize what he had done and he just didn't care. 
There will be more to come regarding the death of the young man, Ed Anthis by the hand of Virgil Johnson. 

                                    -Stay Tuned-        


1 comment:

  1. Wow! He walked a rough road for sure, but is at peace. We will all meet again one day in a better place. Thank you for sharing this, Helen. Reading Virgil's story I had the feeling that the experiences of the Johnsons might make interesting reading. Thank you again, and God Bless you and yours, Helen. Your family are all in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete