Sunday, February 6, 2022

A Deplorable Homicide Occurred by two Teenage Johnson Cousins

Here We Go

When I first ran across this article, I wondered if I might be related to some of the Johnsons mentioned in this article. One of my Dad's brothers was named Virgil and he had another one named Jasper. I didn't know who Joseph Johnson was but it wasn't long before I figured out that they were speaking about Josiah Johnson, my 2nd Great Grandpa.


I have gone back and forth with myself. Should I write about what I know about my Johnson line?  Do I really want the whole world to know about how bad and crazy, or would that be bat $hit crazy some of them were? Well I have decided to do it. Just remember, there are some good Johnsons that come from my Johnson line.


A Deplorable Homicide Occurred

A deplorable homicide occurred Graydon Springs in this county last Friday. Ed Anthis, a young man 20 years of age, was killed by Virgil Johnson, a boy of 17. Johnson is a son of Joseph Johnson and was raised in the neighborhood. Virgil and his cousin, Loman Johnson, a boy of 15, and a son of Jas. Johnson are under arrest and have given bond for their appearance before Squire Johnson next Tuesday, at which time their preliminary examination will be held. As the cases are in court we forbear comment further than to say that public opinion is somewhat divided as to whether the killing was justifiable or not.






The article above was originally published in The Index (Hermitage Missouri) 5 Oct 1893 Thur Page 3

My Dad used to tell me that his Grandpa, Virgil Eagleton Johnson was a very mean man. There were a lot of people that were afraid of him.

As it turns out, the boy Virgil Johnson that is referenced in this article was my Great Grandpa.  He was not quite 17 when he killed Ed Anthis. I think Loman, who was Virgil's first cousin was there for moral support.

I have decided to write about Virgil E Johnson at least, although there were others that came after him who did the same thing if not worse. I have their trial records and their prison records.

There are other articles that were published regarding this murder that I will include them at a later time. I will also write about and include GG Virgil E Johnson's trial records as time allows. They were all handwritten since it was so long ago and are difficult to read.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Helen. Interested in more Johnson history. Keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete