Almost Went Plum Crazy Before Almost Dying!
Their television looked very much like the one in the photo above.
We were watching "Sing Along With Mitch". It must have been summer time because Tudy and I were eating plums from Grandma and Grandpa's tree.
Grandma was always warning us about not eating the center of any fruit seed. She told us that it would make us go crazy and, or possibly kill us. Well of course Grandma knew everything! I didn't doubt for a minute that if I ever ate the center of a fruit seed, I would go crazy and die.
I was really enjoying my plum, and I was pretty much done with it but I was trying to get the last little bit off the seed. Before I knew it, I had swallowed the entire plum seed! I jumped up and starting running in circles yelling and crying that I had just swallowed a plum seed. My baby sister Tudy, was right behind me, yelling and crying, "Sissy swallowed a plum seed". We were both running around in circles in the front room yelling and crying like a dog chasing its tail.
I just knew I was going to go crazy and then I was going to die! Our Mom was trying to catch us and calm us down. Our Dad was laughing, Grandpa was lying on his bed, all laid back as usual watching the commotion. Finally, they got a hold of me and Grandma said I would be okay since the seed was whole and I didn't eat the poisoned part of it. I was about seven and Tudy was about five.
Our parents called us Pete and Re-Pete because Tudy would do and say everything I did.
|From left to right|
Me, Tudy (my baby sister), Gerald Lee Clay, Roseann Clay, Rosie Mae Smith Johnson (My Mother) holding Monte Ray Clay and Stella Holland Smith (My Grandma)
It was always something and never a dull moment with all the kids around. Good times!