Tuesday, March 15, 2016

James Alfred Moses Meek

James Alfred Moses Meek
was born July 4, 1882 in Atascosa, Texas to Martha Favors Meek and Francis Marion Meek.  He was my Great Grandpa from my Dad's side.

James married Martha Leona Baze on October 11, 1902, in Durant, Oklahoma, when he was 20 years old.  They had one son and five daughters together.  See below, marriage photo of James and Martha.  When I first saw this photo, I saw my Father's (Lawrence Johnson, aka John) eyes,  My Dad looked very much like his Grandfather Meek with the same coloring.  Unfortunately, My Dad, John never got to meet his Grandpa because he passed away before he was born.
Their son, Martin Henry "Wesley" was born on January 7, 1904.  Their daughter daughter Avis was born in 1905 and passed away in 1906. Their daughter, Anna Mae "Annie" was born on October 17, 1905.  Their daughter Cora Lee (my Grandmother) was born on June 13, 1910.  Their daughter Martha Emily "Janie" was born on April 22, 1914.  Their daughter Lucille "Lucy" was born on July 2, 1918.  All of the children were born in Greer County, Oklahoma.

As you can see, James and his family lived in Greer County, Oklahoma for many years.  I found a couple of newspaper articles to indicate that he was active in his community and that the family received visitors from out of town.

Sometime after Sept 1918 when James submitted his registration for the military and the end of 1919, the family moved to Lawton, Oklahoma.

Please see copy of military registration below and another photo of him sitting down.  It provides a physical description of him.  He was of medium height and weight with brown eyes and black hair.




 As you can see, James Alfred was a very handsome man.

Unfortunately, he died a very tragic death.  He passed away at the age of 37 years old shortly after the family moved to Lawton, OK.  He died of typhoid fever on January 30, 1920 leaving his young wife and five children behind.


His remains were transported to Mangum, OK on February 2, 1920 where his funeral was held. He was buried in the Centerpoint cemetery in Mangum, OK. The name of the cemetery has been changed to Ladessa.   I don't know if he was originally buried with a marker, but if he was, there is no longer one there. 

Such a sad ending for such a hard working, handsome, good man.

2 comments:

  1. My name is Jason Robert cory born from Greg Cory and Ola Lee barrett maiden name macintyre. I was born in 1978 and I think I am 6 generations down from James. This blog gives me some info to help research more. Hopefully my name will give you more to go on in your search as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw your message, Jason. I am happy you have found my blog to be helpful. I will be on the lookout for more info for you.

      Delete